Sunday, December 20, 2009

Evil Artists

The advertising industry lures consumers not only by catchy slogans but the pretty, colorful, eye-catching layouts. These layouts are created by artists. The artists are hired by the company who wants to advertise a product and ultimately make money.
What I have learned so far from "Can't Buy my Love" is that certain companies are evil. Alcohol companies, for example, hire artists to create an eye-catching design to promote the consumption of alcohol. In some alcohol ads I saw in the book, the photos and slogans give off the impression that the company is encourage heavy drinking.
Not only do I think poorly of these companies but I also think poorly of the artists who do the artwork. I understand that the artists could be designing the layouts just to make money. Not everyone is like that. I think poorly of them because they are supporting a company that encourages bad actions. Therefore, they are encouraging bad actions.
This may seem a bit too extreme but this is what I think. Of course I have respect for artists, but how much respect could I possibly have for them if they are creating something for a bad cause?

3 comments:

  1. It is a problem, isn't it? What about artists who work on violent video games? What about the designers who create military uniforms and such? It is a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. exactly. The worst part if that these artist are probably not aware of who and what they are encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say they know exactly what they're doing, they may or may not do it for money, and the line between 'them' and 'us' is really murky.

    ReplyDelete