Monday, December 6, 2010

Hello, Blog!

It's been quite some time since I made a blog post. My last post was the day I moved into my first dorm at Pace and a lot has changed since then. My first semester at college is almost over and I just started to feel setteled in while living in a dorm, at college, in the busiest, loudest, fastest city I know of.

Obviously, you gain responsibility when you move to college. I thought I was prepared for that: I know how to do my own laundry, I know my way around the city, I know how to save and not to spend money left and right, I know that there are consequences when I don't get my shit done, I know that it is helpful to be organized (still working on it :/).
Of course, I was quickly proven wrong. College is more than just staying on top of things, doing laundry, and hoping that you don't get cursed with the "Freshman 15." It's being on your own and surviving on your own.

I've heard teachers say "no one is going to hold your hand at college." I understood this. I was excited by this because I would make all the shots in my own life. At the same time, I thought that Mom and Dad would "hold my hand" because they were a quick phone call or text away. Nope - I was wrong, again. No one, at all, is there. You are basically living on your own with hundreds of other people who are living on their own.
It seems cool, I guess, to be this independent.
Honestly, I was shocked. I was not as prepared as I thought I would be. And I'm still working on the independent/responsibility role I have no option not to play.

I know that I will be able to handle all my responsibilities better as the year goes on.. I just wish that it didn't have to take as much time as it is taking.

No comments:

Post a Comment