After all these years of not understand how to write an artist statement and what it is... I finally have one. I think.
Performing makes me happy, proud, and energized. Becoming someone who lives a completely different lifestyle than me is exciting. It also makes reality more exciting. I want to have a sustainable career in theater so that I can explore the minds of different types of people. my ultimate goal is to have a sustainable career on Broadway, but, I know how hard and rare that is. Theater is a magical combination of talent, persistence, dedication, technique, and family. In my past theater performances, I have learned a lot about life and what it takes to put on an outstanding show.
I am very indecisive once you get to know me. Sometimes I ask people what I should do but I have no clue. However, I am decisive when it come to choosing songs, monologues, or dances to learn. For college auditions, my vocal coach introduced me to songs that fit my range best. There were some songs that I did not like from the start, even though judging that quickly is not good. It's different for music. So, we got rid of that song. Diane, an acting coach I worked with a couple of times, gave me my monologues. Exploring monologues in depth was a new experience for me. I had a lot of fun doing it though. Diane doesn't know me well, but, the second pair of monologues she gave me fit me very well. And dancing.. well I am always interested in learning a dance because there are so many types of dance and I love exploring them and expanding my knowledge with movement.
Right now I am focusing the most on strengthening my not-bad-anymore knee and practicing songs, 2 monologues, and a dance for college auditions. It is a lot of work but I am loving every minute of it. I have a lot of fun practicing because the more I practice, the more I love the material. You also get more comfortable with what you are presenting to the college people. Practicing is also very challenging. I need to push myself to go full out. It's easier said than done. I learned how to cope with the uncomfortable feeling I get: I tell myself that I can do it (even though that's really corny. Well look at it this way: I want to prepare myself for a career in mt. AKA the meca of corny), I am not going to do a bad job, it's all trial and error, this is when I can make as many mistakes as possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment